By NICK SLEVIN
The ABC Green Home 4.0 is a 4,200 square foot custom spec home on a 9,000 square foot flat lot, built to Net-Zero, LEED Platinum standards. This HERS Rated home is 42 percent above the current Title 24 building code and is independently certified by eight separate agencies to their highest rating standards.
Our team has selected the best materials to create this custom luxury mountain home. The design team includes Architect Chuck Good-Man, AIA, and an Interior Design team led by Jillian Pritchard-Cooke of ASID and the NAHB Hall of Fame; they are joined by the engineering teams from CORE Structure Inc, GREEN MEP, Kadtec CE and homebuilder Steve Bates AGC, a 35-year veteran craftsman homebuilder in San Bernardino County who is based in Crestline.
This special luxury custom home features the following:
- Five bedrooms with the 5th bedroom being a self-contained, basement level ADA adaptable Multi-Gen Suite with a dinette and zero threshold, wheelchair friendly shower; and four full and two half bathrooms.
- A designer kitchen, with top of the line Delta Faucets, Dal Tile Waterfall Island, Samsung Chef series Wi-Fi capable appliances and custom cabinets.
- Hardwood floors throughout the home.
- Two Wi-Fi Gas fireplaces, including one in the Master Bedroom.
- A Steam shower in the master bath and a soaker tub. • A safe room provided at the back of the walk-in master closet.
- Generous porches off the master and second master bedroom.
- A 1000 bottle wine cellar that includes a built-in wine cooler to keep the wine at optimum temperature.
- A wet bar off the wine cellar featuring a beer keg, sink, and bar top with bar stool seating, a four-top table and comfortable benches plus a big screen TV.
- A 700 sq. ft. heated and air-conditioned attic, accessible via an electric drop down staircase.
- A mechanical room that acts as the control center of the home and houses the HVAC, Tankless water heater, Combi Boiler, Energy Recover ventilation System, energy monitoring and a workshop.
- A heated and air-conditioned two-car garage featuring a custom garage door with a Wi-Fi programmable opener, full cabinetry, work bench, TV, and custom floor and windows.
- Four Wi Fi hubs, accessible via a smartphone or tablet, onsite or remotely, providing Alexa connectivity for all in-home devices appliances and energy monitoring.
- A private bathroom and mudroom behind the garage.
- Landscaping including retaining walls, textured and colored concrete sidewalks, pavers on the front stairs and deck, railings, fence, a second gated entry, and stone entryway gate posts with gates.
- A 12 x 16 foot barn with a loft located in the front yard, which matches the finish on the house and includes lights, electric outlets and a BBQ. We build these homes to demonstrate best practices in high performance American home building design, technology and construction to the U.S. home building, architecture, design and construction community, and the home buying public.
The project has received recognition and 10 awards, including two Gold Nuggets for Green Home Design Excellence from the California Building Industry Association, a “National” Award from the National Association of Home Builders for Best Green Interior, Sustainable Project of the Year from The American Society of Civil Engineers, and recognition from the U.S. House of Representatives, the California Senate and California State Assembly.
Post-construction, the home is staged as a model home for builder, architect, designer, contractor and press tours, and will be open to potential buyers interested in purchasing this home. Our ABC Green Home is packed with interesting and useful features that it a very unique, healthy and comfortable smart home, including:
- An advanced framing design that uses two by six studs, twenty- four inches on center, providing a wider, deeper stud bay for more insulation.
- Two layers of one-inch thick, rigid foam insulation added to the exterior of the building under the siding to keep air from passing in, out or through the building.
- Flame Block OSB with a layer of Magnesium Oxide on the exterior, which creates a longer burn value to protect the homeowners from fire.
- Additional strapping and over-engineered framing installed by framing crew to secure the building.
- Over 160 yards of 3,500-PSI concrete poured for the foundations and basement walls, staircases, sidewalks and forecourt.
- Lightweight concrete roof tile shingles, designed as a cool roof to reflect the sun’s rays with tiles treated with a smog-eating chemical that consumes carbon in the air Mechanical Electrical Plumbing Design
- A HVAC system designed to warm and cool the entire home.
- Two 5-tonne Forced Air Units and 5-tonne compressors to move fresh filtered warm and cold air around the building.
- Hydronic heating to make warm air from a 100,000 BTU Combi Boiler in the mechanical room that is is fed through coils in the FAU Units and into the ducts.
- Cat 6 wiring and low voltage wiring throughout the home with smart fuse panels, which monitor energy usage from each outlet and provide data for the homeowner.
- A Solar system on the southeast facing rooftop that provides 8.3 KW of power to the home, enough to offset the cost of gas, water and electricity and achieve Net-Zero Energy usage.
- A battery backup system that powers the home in the event of a blackout.
- An EV charging station in the garage will charge an electric vehicle via the solar panels on the roof.
- Prewiring for six TV’s, entertainment, gaming, audio and security, and includes smart home technology.
More information about the home is available upon request.